Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Moscow Ice Fishing

I have (finally) gotten around to looking at my pictures from my last Moscow trip in April.

I stayed, for a portion of my time in Moscow, in a flat in the south of the city. A more lower-income area than the west-side I usually stay in, the south of Moscow shows more evidence of poverty with homeless people collecting in corners of tube stations and sleeping in the street in the middle of the day.

A peculiar activity I came across was ice-fishing in the local pond, a rather strict, utilitarian affair surrounded by a highway and blocks of flats. Apparently people will spend all day fishing through holes cut in the ice despite the obvious danger!

These pictures were taken at the end of April with the ice starting to melt making this activity all the more risky.



x01

x01

x01

x01

x01

x01

No comments:

Post a Comment